BPS Working Papers Series
The Berkeley Program in Eurasian and East European Studies publishes working papers by Berkeley faculty, graduate students, and visiting scholars. BPS Working Papers are available below in PDF format. Print copies of the working papers can also be found in ISEEES, subject to availability. To enquire about a specific working paper, you may contact iseees[at]berkeley.edu. BPS Working Papers are also included in the California Digital Library's eScholarship Repository.
BPS Working Paper Series
Working papers are posted here in PDF format. You must have Acrobat Reader (free software from Adobe) in order to view those files.
- Wendi Bootes. Being in Pain: The Phenomenology of Suffering in Crime and Punishment. [2016_8-bootes_0.pdf] 28 pages, 401KB.
- Pawel Koscielny. Illiberal Memory: How the Far Right is Rewriting History in Post-socialist Poland. [2016_8-koscielny.pdf] 36 pages, 945KB.
- Cammeron Girvin. The Subversive Folklore of Bai Ganio. [2015_8-girvin.pdf] 32 pages, 1.65MB.
- Joy Neumeyer. 'The Final Struggle': The Art of the Soviet Death Mask. [2015_8-neumeyer.pdf] 32 pages, 501KB.
- Josefina Lundblad. What Cannot Be Known Cannot Be Performed: Staging the Gulag in Varlam Shalamov’s Анна Ивановна. [2014_8-lundblad.pdf] 29 pages, 348KB.
- Megan K. Niedermeyer. Transitional Justice as Opportunity: Moving Beyond a Narrative of the Past in Bosnia and Herzegovina. [2014_8-niedermeyer.pdf] 36 pages, 306KB.
- Rhiannon Dowling. Explaining and Preventing Crime in the Soviet 1970s: the Institute of Criminology and Problems in the (American) War on Crime. [2013_8-dowling.pdf] 23 pages, 297KB.
- Joseph Kellner. Santeri Nuorteva and the Embassy of the International Revolution. [2013_8-kellner.pdf] 31 pages, 321KB.
- Emiliana Kissova. The Literary Life of Leopold Averbakh. [2013_8-kissova.pdf] 35 pages, 353KB.
- Jason Morton. A Hero Comes Home: Vasilii Ivanovich Chapaev and the City of Cheboksary. [2013_8-morton.pdf] 41 pages, 1.17MB.
- Katherine Zubovich-Eady. To the New Shore: Soviet Architecture's Journey from Classicism to Standardization. [2013_8-eady.pdf] 33 pages, 1.96MB.
- Robia Charles. Georgia at the Crossroads: East or West? [2012_8-charles.pdf] 31 pages, 260KB.
- Bathsheba Demuth. More Things on Heaven and Earth: Modernism and Reindeer in the Bering Straits. [2012_8-demuth.pdf] 48 pages, 196KB.
- Eric Johnson. The Russian Revolutionary in Solitary Confinement: Isolation, Community, and Meaning. [2012_8-johnson.pdf] 44 pages, 164KB.
- Eric Johnson. The Commune On Znamenskaia Street: Or What Happens When An Actor Makes Tea. [2011_8-johnson.pdf] 48 pages, 335KB.
- Artyom Lukin. Russia and America in the Asia-Pacific: Will They Ever Move beyond Geopolitics? [2011_8-lukin.pdf] 17 pages, 206 KB.
- Jason Morton. Chto Takoe Azefshchina?: The Azef Affair and Late Imperial Russian Modernity. [2011_8-morton.pdf] 48 pages, 464 KB.
- Theocharis Grigoriadis. EU Aid and the Recipient Government: Aid Effectiveness and the New Soft Budget Constraint in the Former USSR. [2009_08-grigor.pdf] 31 pages, 236KB.
- Brandon Schechter. "The Language of the Sword": Aleksandr Bek, The Writers Union and Baurdzhan Momysh-uly in Battle for the memory of Volokolamskoe shosse. [2009 08-Shechter.pdf] 50 pages, 246KB.
- Robia Charles. Religiosity and Trust in Religious Institutions: Tales from the South Caucasus (Armenia, Azerbaijan and Georgia). [2009-08-Charles] 45 pages, 382KB.
- Polina Dimova. The Poet of Fire: Aleksandr Skriabin’s Synaesthetic Symphony “Prometheus” and the Russian Symbolist Poetics of Light. [2009-08-Dimova] 54 pages, 465KB.
- Helaine Blumenthal. Communism on Trial: The Slansky Affair and Anti-Semitism in Post-WWII Europe. [2009-08-Blumenthal] 43 pages, 212KB.
- James Krapfl. Civic Forum, Public Against Violence, and the Struggle for Slovakia. [2009-08-Krapfl] 33 pages, 429KB.
- Erik R. Scott. The Nineteenth-Century Russian Gypsy Choir and the Performance of Otherness. [2008-08-Scott] 62 pages, 202 KB
- Jennifer Utrata. Babushki as Surrogate Wives: How Single Mothers and Grandmothers Negotiate the Division of Labor in Russia. [2008_08-utrata] 42 pages, 112 KB
- Cinzia Solari. Between “Europe” and “Africa”: Building the “New” Ukraine on the Shoulders of Migrant Women. [2008_08-solari] 39 pages, 120KB
- Alexis Peri. Heroes, Cowards, & Traitors: The Crimean War & its Challenge to Russian Autocracy. [2008_08-peri] 50 pages, 220 KB
- Sener Akturk. 15 Years after the “Collapse” of Soviet Socialism: The Role of Elite Choices, Class Conflict, and a Critique of Modernization Theory. [2008_02-akturk] 32 pages, 98 KB
- Tobias Holzlehner. Weaving Shuttles and Ginseng Roots: Commodity Flows and Migration in a Borderland of the Russian Far East. [Holzlehner-fall07.pdf] 48 pages, 307 KB
- Danielle Lussier. The Nature of Mass Communist Beliefs in Postcommunist Russian Political Space. [Lussier sum 07.pdf] 46 pages, 397 KB
- Jarrod Tanny. The Many Ends of Old Odessa: Memories of the Gilded Age in Russia’s City of Sin. [2007_tanny.pdf] 30 pages, 170 KB
- Danielle Lussier. From Solidarity to Division: An Analysis of Lech Walesa's Transition to Constituted Leadership [2006_02-luss.pdf] 39 pages, 272 KB
- Edward W. Walker. Ethnic War, Holy War, War O' War: Does the Adjective Matter in Explaining Collective Political Violence? [2006_01-walk.pdf] 47 pages, 302 KB
- Jane Zavisca and Michael Hout. Does Money Buy Happiness in Unhappy Russia? [2005_01-zavi.pdf] 65 pages, 362 KB
- Anaita Khudonazar. The Other. [2004_05-khud.pdf] 25 pages, 251 KB
- George Sanikidze and Edward W. Walker. Islam and Islamic Practices in Georgia. [2004_04-sani.pdf] 40 pages, 294 KB
- Veljko Vujacic. Reexamining the "Serbian Exceptionalism" Thesis. [2004_03-vuja.pdf] 45 pages, 222 KB
- Regine A. Spector. The Transformation of Askar Akaev, President of Kyrgyzstan. [2004_02-spec.pdf] 37 pages, 191 KB
- Ronald Grigor Suny. Why We Hate You: The Passions of National Identity and Ethnic Violence. [2004_01-suny.pdf] 52 pages, 233 KB
- Vitaly V. Naumkin. Militant Islam in Central Asia: The Case of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan. [2003_06-naum.pdf] 71 pages, 282 KB
- Emily Shaw. The Role of Social Identity in Resistance to International Criminal Law: The Case of Serbia and the ICTY. [2003_05-shaw.pdf] 33 pages, 189 KB
- Diana R. Blank. Fairytale Cynicism in the Kingdom of Plastic Bags: Mapping Power and Powerlessness in Chelnochovsk-na-Dniestre, Ukraine. [2003_04-blan.pdf] 23 pages, 372 KB
- Armine Ishkanian. Is the Personal Political? The Development of Armenia's NGO Sector During the Post-Soviet Period. [2003_03-ishk.pdf] 37 pages, 303 KB
- Neil A. Abrams. Nationalist Mobilization and Imperial Collapse: Serbian and Russian Nationalism Compared, 1987-1991. [2003_02-abra.pdf] 48 pages, 205 KB
- Victor Peskin and Mieczyslaw Boduszynski. Croatia's Moments of Truth: The Domestic Politics of State Cooperation with the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia. [2003_01-pesk.pdf] 45 pages, 309 KB
- Shorena Kurtsikidze and Vakhtang Chikovani. Georgia's Pankisi Gorge: An Ethnographic Survey. [2002_03-kurt.pdf] 45 pages, 430 KB
- Suzanne Wertheim. Language "Purity" and the De-Russification of Tatar. [2002_02-wert.pdf] 28 pages, 524 KB
- Conor O'Dwyer. Civilizing the State Bureaucracy: The Unfulfilled Promise of Public Administration Reform in Poland, Slovakia, and the Czech Republic (1990-2000). [2002_01-odwy.pdf] 44 pages, 476 KB
- Christel D. Kesler. Inequality in Transition? Educational Stratification and German Unification. [2001_04-kesl.pdf] 47 pages, 288 KB
- Laura Henry. The Greening of Grassroots Democracy? The Russian Environmental Movement, Foreign Aid, and Democratization. [2001_03-henr.pdf] 31 pages, 202 KB
- Elizabeth McGuire. China, the Fun House Mirror: Soviet Reactions to the Chinese Cultural Revolution, 1966-1969. [2001_02-mcgu.pdf] 40 pages, 249 KB
- Grigore Pop-Eleches. Whither Democracy? The Politics of Dejection in the 2000 Romanian Elections. [2001_01-pope.pdf] 24 pages, 175 KB
- Stephan H. Astourian. From Ter-Petrosian to Kocharian: Leadership Change in Armenia. [2000_04-asto.pdf] 64 pages, 711 KB
- Edward W. Walker. Russia's Soft Underbelly: The Stability of Instability in Dagestan. [2000_03-walk.pdf] 50 pages, 1,084 KB
- State Building and the Reconstruction of Shattered Societies. 1999 Caucasus Conference Report. [2000_02-conf.pdf] 49 pages, 1,018 KB
- Leila Alieva. Reshaping Eurasia: Foreign Policy Stategies and Leadership Assets in Post-Soviet South Caucasus. [2000_01-alie.pdf] 32 pages, 459 KB
- Harsha Ram. Prisoners of the Caucasus: Literary Myths and Media Representations of the Chechen Conflict. [1999_01-ram.pdf] 33 pages, 487 KB
- Victoria Bonnell and George Breslauer. Soviet and Post-Soviet Area Studies. [1998_03-bonn.pdf] 33 pages, 392 KB
- The Geopolitics of Oil, Gas, and Ecology in the Caucasus and Caspian Basin. 1998 Caucasus Conference Report. [1998_02-conf.pdf] 110 pages, 1,381 KB
- Levon Hm. Abrahamian. Mother Tongue: Linguistic Nationalism and the Cult of Translation in Postcommunist Armenia. [1998_01-abra.pdf] 29 pages, 456 KB
- Ghia Nodia. Causes and Visions of Conflict in Abkhazia. [1997_02-nodi.pdf] 55 pages, 498 KB
- Institutions, Identity, and Ethnic Conflict: International Experience and Its Implications for the Caucasus. 1997 Caucasus Conference Report. [1997_01-conf.pdf] 102 pages, 1,010 KB